Thursday, May 28, 2009

Schools out for summer...




I know finishing Pre-K isn't some monumental accomplishment but I am filled with incredible pride for how much Kyle has grown as a person and learned this past year. I had no idea how different Pre-K in an elementary school would be from a pre-school program in a daycare/pre-school environment. If it was this different for me as a parent I can only imagine how different it was for Kyle. I am constantly grateful that he is in a school that not only excels academically but also nurtures the student's creativity, treats them with warmth and gives them the tools to further their knowledge while not in school.

I wonder often which memories of his childhood that he will cherish later and which friends that he is making could be lifelong friendships. I am proud of him every day for being such a caring, gentle soul and I am constantly in awe of how much he absorbs and understands. On a few occasions after a school activity we walked home from his school and stopped to get snowballs or another snack. It's moments like this that I treasure where we have one on one time together when nothing else matters.

It means so much to me when I am able to participate in school activities so I can see him interact with his classmates and get to know his teachers, classmates and the classmates parents. I have never wished more to be a SAHM so I could take every opportunity to volunteer at his school. Being a parent to a school age child is really a completely new journey filled with so much joy, amazement and opportunities for personal growth.

The end of the year celebration for Kyle's class was wonderful. The class sang several songs (videos of two below), the Principal handed out completion certificates and then there was a breakfast. I cried through most of it! I can't believe how much he has changed this last year and that soon he will be in Kindergarten.


No comments:

Post a Comment